Last year I took on the challenge of a year long project: a crocheted blanket that would daily chronicle the recorded temperature high. It was a fun project and ended up being quite colorful. It was so satisfying that I kind of want to do it again. Some people start these blankets January 1st, others use a different timeline such as a baby’s first year, etc.
I chose to use Knit Picks Mighty Stitch worsted weight (which is currently 20% off until 1/31/17) in 13 colorways:
00-35F : ash
36-40F : silver
41-45F : wisteria
46-50F : marina
51-55F : mint
56-60F : alfalfa
61-65F : blush
66-70F : conch
71-75F : gulfstream
76-80F : orange
81-85F : canary
86-90F : pucker
91F+ : serrano (never got hotter than 90F so didn’t end up using)
Mighty Stitch seems to have a bad reputation for splitting. I didn’t really have any issues with this possibly because of the stitch I chose. The blanket was crocheted using the granite stitch (aka moss stitch) with a J hook. Mighty Stitch is a soft yarn (20% superwash merino and 80% acrylic) and the colors are vibrant. I’ve since become a bit snobbish with my yarn and have been straying away from acrylic yarns but it suited the project and I suspect it will wash well over and over again.
I started out by purchasing 2 skeins of each color (with the exception of serrano since I didn’t anticipate having many days over 90F and in fact we never reached higher than that). I ordered more as I needed it and didn’t worry about lot numbers. The nature of the striping pattern would hide any minor inconsistencies in dye lots.
Never one to “waste” time with creating a sample gauge I started by chaining 240 and hoped for the best. In hindsight I should have spent some time doing some math. The end result was a blanket measuring 41″x70″ and needed to be a tad bit wider. But it’s still functional and will work as a great family lap blanket at this year’s 4th of July fireworks display. It was cold last year and I wished we had brought a blanket. In any case I probably would have chained 300 or 320. But don’t take my word for it. We all crochet differently so do a sample gauge!
I hate weaving in ends and so I didn’t touch them during the entire duration of the project. I’ll never learn my lesson. This meant there were hundreds of ends to weave in after December 31st. But once I stopped my bitching and complaining I got to work and lo and behold it got done! Lesson learned: weave as you go (yeah right!)
Like I said, I’ve contemplated making another one this year using a broader range of temperatures and only 6 colors but the yarn I’ve been eyeballing would likely cost me well over $300 and would have to be hand washed… so… I’m still thinking on it.
At the end of the project I had more than a few skeins left over and even had some skeins of the same type of yarn left over from another project. So I obsessively crocheted 161 hexagons and 14 half hexagons and whipped them together to create a hexagon blanket, checking yet another project off my crochet wish list.
Leila claimed the hexagon blanket as hers and has been sleeping with it every night and drags it out to the living room to use during the day. And that makes my heart happy!